Grantwriter and/or Development Volunteer Needed: Our Children LA (OCLA) is a local volunteer led non-profit organization dedicated to bringing resource information and services to homeless youth, families and adults in the greater Los Angeles area. We publish the only comprehensive Directory of Services for Homeless Youth, Families and Adults and the region’s only mobile app (WIN) designed to empower regional homeless youth, families and adults to locate the services they need to build a life out of poverty. Both the Directory and WIN are provided free to those in need and can be downloaded in the iTunes and Googleplay stores as well as used on our website.
Unfortunately, too few people know about WIN or the Directory and OCLA has embarked on an initiative to enhance our capabilities and develop and maintain a countrywide WIN awareness campaign.This requires reaching out to agencies and sponsors for supportive funding through grants as well as private donations and sponsorships. To accomplish this OCLA is seeking an experienced grant writer and/or development staff.
The grant writer’s primary responsibility will be to assist with researching and exploring grant opportunities as well as writing and editing grant proposals, progress reports and submissions. The grant writer will review the sponsor guidelines to ensure that specific funding requirements are met in the grant proposal. The grant writer also will coordinate and carry out procedures designed to increase efficiency and quality of proposals, including innovative ways to streamline the grant production process. A development volunteer’s primary responsiblity will be to research, cultivate and steward donors (individual and corporate) and explore opportunities for sponsorships.
OCLA is a virtual organization and the volunteer should be comfortable working from home/remotely. While this posting is for a volunteer position, should a candidate wish to consider a paid future position, OCLA is open to dialogue around how this opportunity could potentially turn into a paid position at some point in the future.
- Excellent management skills to maintain and organize multiple grant projects including program grant submissions.
- Strong proficiency in operating computer including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook email).
- Experience and skill with writing and editing grant and/or sponsorship applications, with ability to develop adapt grant proposals to specific sponsor requirements.
- Ability to handle sensitive materials and confidential information with discretion and tact.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent skill in setting priorities to meet deadlines and reflect accurately the relative importance of job duties and assignments.
- Excellent organizational skills necessary to complete tasks in an efficient manner and with minimal supervision.
- Flexibility to respond effectively to changing priorities and fluctuating workloads.
- Must be conscientious in attention to detail.
- Experience and proficiency in researching grant opportunities and performing systematic reviews of such opportunities using search engines
- Excellent communication and relationship skills enabling volunteer to professionally cultivate potential and current funders/donors/sponsors
- Experience and proficiency in researching sponsorship opportunities and developing strategy for sponsor outreach
Individuals interested in either volunteering as a grantwriter and/or development support should contact Our Children LA via email firstname.lastname@example.org